At the University of Kabianga in Belgut, Kericho County, property of unknown value has been damaged after one of the hostels was destroyed by fire.
The cause of the fire could not be determined right away, according to a lecturer who talked to Citizen Digital on the condition of anonymity.
The inferno, however, is thought to have been started by an electrical error.
The lecturer claimed that the fire started on Hostel Six’s fourth level and destroyed student belongings.
The event took place on the same day that the university reopened after being temporarily closed two weeks prior due to a student riot over a delayed HELB loan release and a government-planned fee increase.
The Kericho County Fire Department and the James Finlays Tea Company’s fire department are on the scene right now putting out the fire.
So far, no fatalities have been reported.